Monday, November 7, 2011

End of Term

Sigh...   It's that time of year when I have to start nagging about turning in missing assignments.  And I don't like it one bit.  (The end of the first trimester is November 18th.)  While my personal preference is towards a "learning orientation," our society dictates a "grade orientation."  I don't think that grades in and of themselves demonstrate interest in learning, and sometimes I wonder if students demonstrate less interest in learning as a result of being graded.  After all, is getting A's really the point of going to school?  Is it really all about test scores?  (Government and legislators seem to think so.)

I hope I can give children a better reason for studying than a grade on a report card.  Their natural curiosity is delightful, and I try to build on this at every opportunity.  Having a classroom full of excited learners is my goal.

I don't know the answer of an alternative to traditional grades, so in the meantime, please encourage your students to turn in all their missing assignments by Friday of this week.  I spend HOURS doing the checking/grade thing each week (would rather be planning interesting lessons), and the thought of getting a boatload of missing assignments the same day the grades are due sends me straight to my grave, which at such times seems appealing...

Thank you, parents, for being so supportive and involved in your child's education.  You lead busy lives and value a good education for your child.  I will do all I can to help you achieve this goal for the ones you love.  I love them too.

Mrs. Krueger

No comments: